Find out how smart your home is when it comes to saving energy, using the brand-new Home Efficiency Analysis Tool from Touchstone Energy® Cooperatives. All you have to do is go to http://homeefficiency.togetherwesave.com and enter some basic information about your home. Then the interactive program will provide a prioritized list of projects and show in-depth instruction sheets for you to download for do-it-yourself weekend jobs. As a bonus, you’ll also be able to track completed projects or e-mail project documents to a friend or contractor.
Here are the steps:
1. Fill in your ZIP Code, and the program will ask about your home’s style, square footage, year built, foundation, attic, garage, and the number of adults and kids living in the home.
2. After confirming (or editing) these details, you can choose one of four broad categories in your home to evaluate: Attic, Living Space, Basement and Systems.
3. For example, after clicking on Living Space, the resulting page shows six highlighted dots. Each one represents the availability of several projects.
4. Clicking on a dot unveils a specific topic area. Hit the Download Project button to go to the Energy-Saving Recipes.
5. In this section, you can download PDFs showing the instructions, tools needed, materials list and other tips for all of the projects – for you or your contractor.
But that’s not all. Hit the Project Tracker button at the bottom of any of the four category pages, and you’ll find project ratings by priority, cost and difficulty level.